Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Rescuer - 5 stars


The Rescuer by Dee Henderson

Love is founded first on friendship.

I think that is why I enjoy this book so much. Stephen O'Malley is a burned out paramedic. He has seen too much of the evil side of life to want anything to do with the God his family believes in. After his sister dies, he runs away. Of course, he tells people he is just taking a trip, but he is really trying to run away from life's problems. And from the God who is pursuing Him.

Meghan is Stephen's friend and intercessor. She knows he is lost and does not give up praying for him. When he decides to settle down in her own town, she doesn't have to have sight to see that he cares for her. As much as she loves him, she loves her Lord more. So she faithfully continues praying for him. It takes disaster and threats to get Stephen to turn to God, and even then, trusting Him with everything is more of a challenge than Stephen originally thought.

I have known people, and God knows, I have been that person who thought I could run away from Him. Stephen foolishly (like I have) thinks he can flee from God's presence and the pain inside him, but it can never happen. Psalm 139:7-12 says:
7Where can I go from Your Spirit?
         Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
         If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
9If I take the wings of the dawn,
         If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10Even there Your hand will lead me,
         And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
11If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
         And the light around me will be night,”
12Even the darkness is not dark to You,
         And the night is as bright as the day.
         Darkness and light are alike to You.

This book reminded me that God is always with me, He will never leave nor forsake me. 5 stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment