Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ever After - 4 stars



Ever After by Karen Kingsbury

Karen Kingsbury is one of my favorite authors. I love how she writes, I admire how she can take an average story and craft it with such delicacy and intelligence that we can't help but fall in love with the characters.

When I first read this book, years ago, I fell in love with Justin Baker. He was a man in uniform, he was chivolorous, he was kind and most importantly, he loved the Lord with all his heart.

Then I met my husband and realized that Justin Baker had nothing on my man.

Emily Anderson is in college, when she meets Justin Baker. He is Mr. Smooth (as referred to by a co-worker), and it doesn't take long for him to sweep Emily off her feet. Their relationship is an example of what realtionships should be. Their foundation is on the Lord, Justin loves Emily in a way that exudes Christ's love. Emily trusts and respects her boyfriend. They plan to get married, when they recieve the news, Justin is being called to Afganistan to fight. They knew this moment could come, but when it does, it shakes and rattles their faith and their relationship.

Emily's parents have found each other again, after so many years apart. Now that they are together in proximity, will their own differences continue to keep them at a distance?

When Emily's worst fears come true, she finds she must cling to her Savior and rely on His plan for her life.

This book made me sob like a baby. If you don't want to cry, do NOT read it. On the other hand, it also showed me what it meant to be loved by a man the way Christ loves us. It encouraged me, during a vulnerable time in my life, to continue holding out for the man that God wanted me to have.

4 stars - if you like to cry, then you would probably give this 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment